Developing wrinkles as we age is inevitable. But did you know that not all wrinkles were created equal? And that there’s lots you can do to minimise their effects? Here are our top facts on these pesky little facial features, as well as some top tips on how to best protect your skin as you age.
1. There are two types of wrinkles - dynamic and static. Dynamic wrinkles appear when we use muscles to form facial expressions. Static wrinkles develop as we get older when collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid decrease in production.
2. We all know smoking is bad for us, but did you also know it can cause wrinkles and skin damage? Nicotine deprives the skin of oxygen, whilst other chemicals can damage the skin’s underlying elastin and collagen.
3. Limiting exposure to UV rays is one of the most effective things you can do to protect your skin and minimise wrinkles. These harmful rays damage collagen fibres deep with the skin, causing it to increase production of abnormal elastin – as this process is repeated with daily UVA exposure, the incorrectly rebuilt skin forms wrinkles.
4. Eating a healthy diet is key to increasing your vitamin intake which, in turn, will help keep deep wrinkles at bay. Conversely, excessive sugar intake through a bad diet can cause the protein fibres in your skin to stiffen up, resulting in wrinkles.
5. Moisturising regularly (we recommend using our Revitalising Moisturiser) will help to plump and hydrate the skin, preventing wrinkles from occurring.
6. Stress and repeated frowning can contribute to wrinkles and so managing stress levels is important when it comes to preventing premature ageing.
7. Environmental exposure, gravity and changing metabolism impact the structural proteins making skin less elastic and less firm. Dry environments can also dry out your skin, which can cause fine lines. Our advice is to keep up a simple yet effective skincare routine like our Three and Easy: Face Routine which will Repair, Nourish and Invigorate your skin.